Essential oils are concentrated & aromatic volatile compounds that are magical for those who love to use them. Essential is the short form of quintessential oil; it is a matter of four elements like air, earth, fire & water. These are highly concentrated from flowers, leaves, roots & other parts of the plants.
Essence is that oil which captures the plant’s flavor & scent. These are extracted using steam distillation; it is a process that involves applying steam until the oil vaporizes. They have the characteristics of the plant.
You can add them to vegetable oils, bath gels or creams. different methods are used to concentrate them into oils.
Benefits of Essential Oils
- For positive atmosphere & improving mood
- Inflammation relief
- Reduces the pain
- Boosts the immune system
- Heals skin irritation
- Best alternative to candles.
- Treats psychological disorders.
How to use Essential Oils ?
If you don’t know how to use it, these are very easy to use. Here are some points that will help you in using essential oil:
- Apply to the skin: Essential oils are immediately absorbed by the skin as they are fat-soluble. You should not apply essential oil directly to your skin but always mix & dilute them with a carrier oil.
- Inhale simple: You can inhale essential oil; open a bottle of oil, hold it up you’re against nose or you can place drops on tissue & then take a deep breathe. if you are using it first-time use drop only to make sure that you don’t have any reaction.
- Steam Inhalation: You have to boil 2-3 cups of water & add 2-5 drops of the oil. Place your nose away from the bowl, cover your head & bowl with the towel & inhale the steam. This will relax your mood & energize you.
- Use an essential oil diffuser: Electronic diffusers are designed to remove the smell. they fill the air with the aroma & healing benefits of the essential oil that you like. You have to put a few drops of essential oils in the diffuser, turn it on & this will get circulated in your room.
- Use in bath: When you want to relax just add oil in your bath. Buy a box of simple Epsom salts for the base of your essential oils. When you drop oil directly into the water they don’t get dissolved nicely but if you first add them into the salt they dissolve beautifully.
- Aromatherapy massage: These oils are used for massage, you can mix them in with neutral- smelling carrier oils like almond or grapeseed oil. You can add up to 20 drops of the oil to the carrier oil.
How Essential Oil works?
Essential oils are used in the practice of aromatherapy; they can be inhaled or rubbed on the skin by diluting them. These are not meant to be swallowed. When you apply it to your skin, some chemicals are absorbed. Some methods can improve absorption.
When you inhale the aromas they can stimulate the areas of your limbic system that is a part of your brain that plays a role in emotions, sense of smell, behaviours & long-term memory.
The limbic system is involved in forming memories. This partly explains why familiar smells can trigger memories or emotions.
The limbic system also plays a role in controlling physiological functions like breathing, blood pressure & heart rate. the essential oils can exert a physical effect on your body.
How to choose the right Essential Oils?
- Purity: Pure oils list the plant’s botanical name; they don’t term them like essential oil of lavender.
- Quality: Choose a product that is chemical-free & is distracted through distillation or cold pressing.
- Reputation: You should always buy the product of a brand that produces high-quality products.
Side effects of essential oils:
Every coin has two sides i.e. positive & negative, it is the same in the case of essential oils.
Essential oil can be harmful sometimes as plants contain bio-active compounds. They can cause some side effects like:
- Asthma attacks
- Allergic reactions
Rashes are the most common side effects, these can be a cause of death sometimes.
Pregnant & breastfeeding women should avoid essential oils.